The Social Action / Social Justice Committee provides support to the vulnerable through volunteer efforts and acts of tzedakah, helps coordinate positions on social justice issues, and develops and implements programs and strategies to educate, advocate and work toward solutions to social problems. The Committee communicates and works with the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism and Reform CA.
The Social Action / Social Justice Committee helps organize various direct service, advocacy, and donation projects throughout the year. It works with Temple Beth El’s Sisterhood and Youth Groups to help make our community a better place.
Our ongoing projects include:
- Our Annual Soup and Salad Shabbat, in which we collect funds for MAZON. Temple Beth El is a partner with MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger, an agency that collects funds from the Jewish community and distributes them to food pantries and soup kitchens in North America and worldwide
- Collecting food at the High Holy Days for SOVA, (a community food pantry run by Jewish Family Service of Los Angeles)
- Collecting gently worn winter coats, shoes, and clothing for low-income men and women who need clothing
- Temple Beth El is a member of Jewish World Watch, a project to mobilize synagogues, schools, and the community to combat genocide and violations of human rights around the world
Past projects have included:
- Wrapping holiday gifts for children at the San Pedro Service Center
- Collecting toiletries for the women served by the Rainbow Services Shelter
- Serving as reading tutors with the Koreh LA literacy program of the Los Angeles Jewish Federation
- Making caps for ill children through the Happy Hats program
- Delivery of Mishloach Manot (Purim food baskets) to members of our community who are ill or home-bound
- Temple Beth El has participated in regional Habitat for Humanity building projects